A Guide for the Student on the Ways and Means of the Warg and the Stalking of Prey

Absurdities Part II

In the last part I talked about the attitude of some players and how they try to enforce their playstyle upon others. Here I am going to look more specifically at how this applies to the warg.

Most of you will no doubt be familiar with the usual QQ directed at wargs, but this QQ takes a slightly different form in that it seeks to change the way you play. Below I shall walk through some of the more glaring examples of this and I will explain why these people are wrong, not only from the point of view of trying to make others conform to their views, but also from a gameplay perspective.

Cowards

This is an old staple of warg QQ, label the warg you can’t kill as a coward. The most common form of this is to moan about wargs using Disappear and/or Sprint to escape from a fight. The idea here is pretty simple: the freep accuses the warg of being a coward because the warg is about to die and manages to escape from the fight.

Why is it cowardly to use some common sense and get away from a fight you aren’t going to win? Is the idea that if a fight turns against you then it is your duty to stand in place and let your opponent kill you? Nonsense.

There is nothing cowardly about retreating from a fight that is going badly. What the whiners really mean here is that they are frustrated that they didn’t kill you. That’s tough shit. You are doing nothing more than playing to your class’ strengths.

Remember when Hunters could DF in the middle of a fight? I didn’t see too many Hunters screaming about that being cowardly. That was common sense. It’s really no different with wargs. Using the abilities your class has to best effect isn’t cowardly, it’s simply playing smart.

Ganking

Another staple of warg QQ is that it is unfair when a group of wargs jumps out and ganks a solo freep. Again this is labelled as cowardly. Again it is borne from frustration.

Most wargs aren’t even grouped up, there is simply a lot of wargs playing right now. Chances are that when one jumps out there will be another three or four in the immediate vicinity. It isn’t organised, it isn’t planned, it isn’t coordinated. It is just coincidence.

Even when an actual warg pack does jump a solo freep so what? Has every single freep group that has ever existed always passed up the opportunity to gank a solo creep they come across? Of course not. That’s the Ettens for you. It isn’t fair, but it is PvP.

Wargs Are Ruining PvMP

No they’re not. What’s ruining PvMP is people endlessly whining instead of actually playing. Instead of moaning about wargs 24/7 maybe try and do something to counter them. A well balanced freep group where the players actually play to their strengths instead of everyone, healers included, insisting upon doing damage is more than a match for a warg pack.

Taking different routes when there are known to be wargs camping a specific spot works wonders. Not travelling around solo when there is known warg activity in the area helps. Getting friends to help you instead of screaming about being ganked solo might improve your odds. In short some common sense goes a long way. Whining does nothing.

Only Honourable Wargs Fight 1vs1

Tripe. Wargs are in a good position as a class right now, but that doesn’t mean that every warg is equally good, not does it mean the warg, as a class, is equally good against every freep class. A warg trying to solo a Warden traited for survivability isn’t going to get very far. A rank 2 warg trying to take on a Champion probably won’t last more than 10sec. I could list more examples, but you get the idea.

This notion that a 1vs1 is somehow the ‘holy grail’ is a myth and tends to be perpetuated by people who like playing a nice strong class that has an advantage and they know that they will win most times. They are looking to give themselves an advantage, which is fine, but they wrap it up in the guise of trying to be ‘fair’ and ‘honourable’.

At the end of the day the goal in the Ettenmoors is to 1) have fun and 2) beat your opponents. If you can do that 1vs1 that’s fine. It’s also fine if you need to get someone else to help you, or two extra people, or twenty extra people. You are under no obligation to be ‘fair’ to your opponents. How you choose to beat them is up to you, not them.

Summary

What we have are people trying to impose their view of how the Ettenmoors should be. They don’t like that wargs can get away from them or that wargs can gank them or that wargs can act with cohesion. They don’t like that wargs force them to re-evaluate their zerg mentality or cause them to have to actually think in order to beat them.

Instead they reach for the book of insults and start labelling people. If you aren’t conforming to their view of how PvMP should be then you are ‘doing it wrong’ according to them. Instead of getting on and enjoying the game they take it upon themselves to tell everyone else how they should play and what is wrong and what is right.

The best response to these people, as always, is to do nothing. Ignore them. Carry on playing the way you enjoy best. Let them stew and gnash their teeth in frustration because at the end of the day it is their problem. Their whining and screaming will not affect you in the slightest if you pay them no heed.

This is your free time and you deserve to enjoy it in the manner you most enjoy.

Advertisements

11 responses

1. Silence Darkhunter

Completely agree with the above post and Part I. The main thing ruining PvP right now is QQ.

24/08/2012 at 3:35 pm

2. Grofv

Very well put! I agree with every aspect.

25/08/2012 at 11:17 am

3. Thurinphir

A warg pack is a work of art, coordinating pounces and silences with stealth and tracks. If freeps can’t do any more than whine, we are simply better players. which strategy will have more success? form up a group of champions for when they pounce with hunters for tracks/anti-Sprints, maybe healers to distract them? or QQ in the forums, log onto a creep to QQ and continue blindly walking to their deaths?

common sense isn’t very common 😦

25/08/2012 at 10:05 pm

4. Inga

Actually the smart thing to do often IS to be cowardly, they’re not mutually exclusive. Your example of running away from a fight is both.

The issue with ‘honourable battle’ though is that it only works if you both have the same idea about what is honourable and what isn’t. Which is why you’re right that there’s no point to complain about it.

27/08/2012 at 6:10 pm

5. BiteMarks

I couldn’t agree more with what has been written.

I’ve been playing my R11 warg now for nearly 3 years and want to play it how I want and not how others ‘believe’ I should. It is my toon and not theirs and if I want to use disappear/sprint in certain ways then I will.

They are there to be used however and whenever I want to so I jsut say to those who QQ about wargs – learn to play your class, play your toon how you want to and don’t look at others for your short-comings……

04/09/2012 at 5:33 pm

6. Threeclaw

The idea of a fair 1v1 fight only works when opponents are equal in some way eg skills. I am only a rank 3 warg. My defenses are minimal and I still lack in game skills (eg I am not yet a great mouse turner). I would have to rely on a lvl 41 hunter to turn up in order to have a chance of a 1v1 being balanced. This applies to all my creeps at present.

04/09/2012 at 11:27 pm

7. I love this blog, and I love every post. A marvelous point of view about how to play one of the funniest creep classes in LOTRO.

Focusing in the post, totally agree. I play in Laurelin, and a lot of freeps QQ about wargs ‘cos they are too many. Well, they’re who caused this overpopulation, with all these zergraids. What they expected? A frontline of creeps ready for being farmed no effort?

I tested RoR changes, and I had good feelings. We’ll see if they become reality.

Oh, btw… my warg is Ruzrazr (hey, Grofv ;-)).

29/09/2012 at 12:31 pm

8. Nice, Art! 🙂

29/09/2012 at 2:50 pm

9. Love the hints here. I use my warg to get comms to buy gear for my freep. Was very nice to have audacity 7 waiting for me when I hit 75. Higher-ranked creeps, warg packs, etc get so mad when they can’t kill me that they log onto a freep to whine at me. Pretty funny… in a sad sort of way. Pack mentality is… well… like that of animals.

Anyway. your articles are fantastic prep for RoR. Will continue to use as a source to learn how to defeat creeps.

02/10/2012 at 6:38 am

10. Of course that Pack mentality is like that of animals. Wargs ARE animals, Jason… or what you thought they are?! *lol*

And it depends of your freep class to be able to kill you or not. I’ve seen minstrels to explode like balloons ‘cos they believed that a wargpack wasn’t able to kill them, and dared to go around teasing the danger. Or champions that spent their bubbles and died when their sprint didn’t work at time. Or captains that couldn’t use their Last Stand.

But I’ll agree with you in a point: it’s sad that someone switches for whinning at anyone. If you can’t kill someone, do it better next time. To know the enemy is a good part of your advantage.

08/10/2012 at 2:19 am