RoR: Rabid Bite
Some of our skills aren’t exactly great at the moment, not the least of which is Rabid Bite. Thankfully this skill will be getting some much needed love when Riders of Rohan launches, but will it be enough to make it useful?
What’s Wrong With Rabid Bite?
The premise of Rabid Bite is pretty straightforward; it applies a debuff to the target that increases the power cost of their skills by 25%. We also have a trait that will boost this effect by a further 15% for a total of 40%. This all sounds fine and well until you realise what a horrible debuff this actually is.
First of all the effect is curable as a disease. Secondly it can’t be stacked. Thirdly it’s single target. Last, but not least, the standard 25% magnitude from the untraited version become irrelevant when a freep has full Audacity because that gives them -20% skill power costs! In other words Rabid Bite will only increase a freep’s power costs by a paltry 5% if the freep has full Audacity. Even the traited version will only increase the freep’s power costs by 20% with full Audacity, which is less than the base value of the untraited version!
In short Rabid Bite, traited or untraited, is a pretty weak debuff. Most wargs I know barely use it. Against non-tactical classes it can have some effect and, but is easily curable. Against tactical classes though,with their oceans of power, it is next to useless.
How Is It Being Changed?
What is changing with RoR is that the debuff magnitude is being increased. Instead of a base value of 25% untraited it will be 40%. This sounds a little more useful all of a sudden! Even with full Audacity that is still a 20% power cost increase, something we would have had to have traited for before. As above this is relatively good for use against non-tactical classes.
Where things get really interesting though is when we look at the traited version. The trait to increase Rabid Bite’s debuff is getting boosted too! It will rise from 15% to 35%! That means that traited Rabid Bite will have a total debuff magnitude of 75%. Even taking off the 20% for full Audacity that still leaves us with a debuff total of 55%.
The non-traited version should suffice against non-tactical classes, but when traited this could be a fairly serious debuff to apply to them. Against tactical classes the traited version should slow them down a bit and they might, just might, see an effect on their power bar.
Is It Worth Using In RoR?
The question is of course will it be worth using and traiting for this skill? That’s a tough one to answer right now without having had a chance to see these changes in action. My gut instinct is to say that the untraited version will probably still remain underused even though it will be more effective, especially against non-tactical classes.
The traited version though is something to consider. This could be a really useful debuff in certain 1vs1 encounters or even in raids to debuff freep healers. It does mean using up a valuable class trait slot though, but with the changes to Disappear and Sprint we have potentially two free slots now. It’s definitely worth considering in my opinion.